Featured
Published August 22, 2026 · Canadian Money Brief BREAKING OVER THE WEEKEND U.S.-Canada trade talks collapsed late Friday night, and the U.S. imposed 50% tariffs on roughly $20 billion of Canadian goods just after midnight Saturday. Ottawa says it will retaliate dollar-for-dollar. Here's what happened on the markets before that news broke — and what it means for your wallet now. It was a genuinely strange week to be a Canadian investor. Stocks mostly rallied through Friday on hope that Washington and Ottawa were closing in on a trade deal. Then, hours after the closing bell, that deal fell apart. The 50% tariff that had been threatened, paused, and re-threatened for weeks finally landed. Markets haven't had a chance to react to it yet — that reaction starts Monday morning. Below is how the week actually traded, market by market, followed by what the tariff news means for you and what's on deck for next week. TSX: A Choppy Week That Ended With a Miner-Led Rally The S&P/...
article
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Labels
Biden vows to respond after Iranian-backed drone strike kills 3 US troops in Jordan
President Joe Biden has vowed to respond after three American troops were killed and dozens more were injured in an overnight drone strike in northeast Jordan near the Syrian border.
The President blamed Iran-backed militias for the first U.S. fatalities after months of strikes by such groups against American forces across the Middle East amid the Israel-Hamas war. Biden, who was traveling in South Carolina, asked for a moment of silence during an appearance at a Baptist church’s banquet hall. “We had a tough day last night in the Middle East. We lost three brave souls in an attack on one of our bases," he said. After the moment of silence, Biden added, “and we shall respond.” With an increasing risk of military escalation in the region,
U.S. officials were working to conclusively identify the precise group responsible for the attack, but they have assessed that one of several Iranian-backed groups was behind it. Biden said in a written statement that the United States “will hold all those responsible to account at a time and in a manner (of) our choosing.” Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said "we will take all necessary actions to defend the United States, our troops, and our interests.”
Popular Posts
Smart Savings for a Sharp School Start: Canadian Parents’ 2025 Guide
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Trump's Six Words: "I'm Going to Stop the Wars"
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
Comments
Post a Comment